-
January 10th, 2002, 05:15 PM
#11
chas_ucla
Guest
Touch of Evil rules!
Finest editing of any Welles film.
There can be no comparison with Memento (not "Momento", btw).
------------------
-
January 10th, 2002, 05:27 PM
#12
dogstarman
Guest
My mistake. Guess I just got used to seeing it backwards... o-m-e-n-t-o-m-n-w-o-n-t-q-e-r-whatever
I don't care if I'm outnumbered. That-backward-film was nominated before I said peep about any particular film. I let somebody else chime in first. Then I proposed my own choice. If I'd thought it was a good one, I would have seconded it.
Vote for whatever you want. Come on. I'm not xelA, here...
------------------
-
January 10th, 2002, 05:37 PM
#13
el don
Guest
ok i found the french title ("la soif de mal"). But we have to be careful because there are two versions of this movie. The first one, released in 1958, edited by the productors, and another one released in 1999, "refreshed" and re-edited with some instructions left by Welles on a notebook, found a few years ago. This new version is available on a nice dvd, so before we start debating, we should choose which version we'll talk about. (i only saw the new one).
------------------
-
January 10th, 2002, 05:55 PM
#14
crimsonson
Guest
That is another potential problem with classics... for now get what you can, preferably the original since it was that version that made it a classic. If you cant, I am sure the newer version can suffice.
OK Touch of Evil it is...
going once...?
------------------
-
January 10th, 2002, 07:07 PM
#15
dogstarman
Guest
Speak now or forever hold your peace.
------------------
-
January 11th, 2002, 04:08 AM
#16
crimsonson
Guest
Touch of Evil is by Orson Welles. It is his other well respected film.
Ground rules I suggest:
Movie Suggestion and main question must be agreed up by Friday 5:00 EST (New York Time 
I suggest not to ask questions like "Why you like the movie" Or "Did did you like the director"
We should get specific because it will be inefficient to answer such vague questions within a week of posting.
Answer each question essay style. 300 word limit? Place your movie suggestion at the end of your post. The person who chooses the film and the question should not be the same in order to "spread the joy around."
And please lets not revert to "It sucks" It blows" "You are an idiot if you like that piece of shit" etc etc. Be articulate and be polite.
My suggestion for topic for "Touch of Evil" discussion
"Do you think the movie can be financially succesful in todays environment? Why or why not? Reason (s)."
other comments or question regarding ground rules and topic of discussion?
------------------
-
January 11th, 2002, 04:12 AM
#17
dogstarman
Guest
El Don: which title?
kittyunicorn: the whole idea was to pick a film that has some value and discuss why it is relevent to aspiring filmmakers, either in what is good or bad about it. Not to rain on your parade, but Momento came out just about a year ago, and while I could certainly argue the bad points of the film, I don't think it qualifies for the lexicon of "classic films that really influenced the course of filmmaking", for good or ill. Unless everybody suddenly starts teling stories backward, in which case I really WILL stop watching new films.
Momento: Cute idea (I wrote about it in my senior thesis two years ago). BAAAAAAAAD execution.
------------------
-
January 11th, 2002, 04:21 AM
#18
el don
Guest
i was asking about "Touch of Evil" but Crimsonson answered so that's ok. I'll try to find it here.
------------------
-
January 11th, 2002, 04:31 AM
#19
crimsonson
Guest
lets not limit ourselves with "classics." And modern films can be fun. Anyway dogstar, if enough people agree on Momento... you' re out numbered. But TOE for the first one gets my vote.
------------------
[This message has been edited by crimsonson (edited January 10, 2002).]
-
January 11th, 2002, 10:25 PM
#20
Hanthx
Guest
Hey Dogstarman
What ever happened to the super 8 publication idea?
S-
------------------
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks